Call 01743 241181 for friendly & expert advice
Search Sales
Search lettings


 An empty property is not only losing rental income but also becomes a liability. As soon as we are instructed on a property our aim is to find you a reliable tenant who will take care of the property and pay a market rent.

We know that our clients often do not want to be involved in the irritations of residential lettings so we also provide a property management service, keeping abreast of regulations so that our clients don’t have to.

It should be no surprise that Balfours is the largest residential lettings agent in Shropshire. We know how to position a property on the market and have invested in a state of the art web based lettings database that generates 80% of our enquiries. We know what our clients are looking for and we know how to provide it.

We manage over 2,500 residential properties and the rental prices in the areas we cover vary from £350 per calendar month up to £4,000 per calendar month. In a 12 month period we will be involved in the letting of over 500 residential properties.


Once you have made the decision to rent out your property you must obtain the necessary consents from any other interested parties which may include the following:

Mortgage Company

If your property is subject to a mortgage or loan you must seek permission from the lender before entering into a tenancy agreement. It is your responsibility to arrange this and our Terms of Business request this is done prior to the marketing of your property.


As the landlord and owner of the property, you remain responsible for insuring the building. We would advise you discuss this with your insurance company and would recommend that your cover is extended to cover kitchen and bathroom fittings and floor coverings. We are happy to discuss insurance policies with you in further detail.

Leasehold Property

If your property is leasehold (usually in apartment blocks) you may need to seek permission from the management company and/or other the freeholders. You will need to check your head lease for any specific clauses and ideally provide us with a copy so we can ensure all aspects are covered in your tenancy agreement.

Overseas Landlords

If you will be residing in another country (outside of the UK) for at least six months of any tax year then you will need to apply to HMRC to become a Non-Resident Landlord (NRL). The Non-Resident Landlord (NRL) application is available online.

The HMRC should then process your application and issue you with an NRL Certificate. Please note this will need to be done for each individual landlord of the property that will be living abroad so if it is jointly owned you will need separate applications.

Without an NRL certificate we are required to deduct basic rate tax from any rental income received and send this to HMRC on your behalf.


Prior to letting your property you need to ensure that your property is safe to let. We are obviously happy to advise and assist where possible but the following is a handy guide which highlights issues to consider:

Gas Safety (Installations & Use) Regulations 1994 (as amended)

Where there is a gas supply to the property, whether it is mains, LPG or calor, you as the landlord are responsible for ensuring the gas appliances are safe. All gas appliances, fittings, pipework and installations need to be checked annually by a Gas Safe Registered engineer. Without a copy of your gas safety certificate then we cannot allow a tenancy to commence. If you have opted for your property to be managed by Balfours then we can arrange this for you each year when it becomes due.

Electrical Equipment (Safety Regulations)

In the event of an electrical incident at the property a landlord would need to be able to prove that the electrical supply and appliances are safe. We would therefore recommend an electrical inspection is carried out at the property and if you are leaving any electrical appliances at the property then these will need to be PAT Tested.

Furniture & Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended)

If you have chosen to rent out your property on a furnished basis then you will need to ensure the furniture complies with the Furniture & Furnishings (Fire) (Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended). This relates to all soft furnishings in the property (not including carpets or curtains) and stipulates that any furniture of this type which is included within the tenancy must comply with the regulations and have a label to show this. If your furniture does not meet this criteria then it must be removed.

Smoke Detectors / Alarms

It is a legal requirement to have at least one smoke detector to each storey within the property. For newer properties (built after June 1992) smoke detectors must be mains wired with a battery back up.

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

It is a legal requirement to have a carbon monoxide alarm fitted to any room where there is a solid fuel burning combustion appliance. The carbon monoxide alarm must be checked and in proper working order the day the tenancy commences.

Heating Equipment Testing & Approval Scheme

Any fuel burning appliance that has been installed after October 2010 must comply with appropriate Building Regulations and must have been installed by a HETAS approved engineer. Under these regulations a carbon monoxide detector will also have to be installed.

For appliances installed prior to October 2010 there is no such requirement for certification from HETAS engineers but the landlords should be confident that such appliance is safe and we would advise fitting a carbon monoxide detector to ensure this.

Energy Performance Certificates

All properties that are available to rent must have an EPC unless they are listed. An EPC will last for 10 years and will need to be carried out by a Domestic Energy Assessor. We can arrange this on your behalf but please note that we will not be able to market your property without an EPC.

An EPC will record the energy efficiency and environmental impact of your property on a scale of A-G, A being the best and G the worst. The government are keen to improve the quality of homes in the UK and it has been proposed that if your property is in Band F or below you will not be able to rent it from 2018. An EPC will include a list of various recommended improvements for your property that you may wish to consider to improve its rating. If you wish to discuss this in further detail please do get in touch with us.

Our Fees

For information on our property letting and management services, please refer to our Landlords Fees information sheet.

Terms of Business

For Balfours Residential Lettings full Terms of Business please refer to our Lettings TOB 2019.